YNPN St. Louis has a diverse membership supported by many disciplines of the nonprofit sector. Our members come from over 70 nonprofits in St. Louis and six universities. We would like to highlight one of our great members, Kristen Carroll, one of our 2016 Spring Mentees.
- What is your favorite place in St. Louis and why? My favorite place in St. Louis is my workplace, and I really mean that! I lived out of town during college, and I didn’t visit as much as I wanted, but every time I did I visited the Missouri Botanical Garden. It’s been a family favorite since I was a little girl. I also spend a lot of time in Tower Grove Park trying to counteract the calories from Old Standard Fried Chicken and Planter’s House.
- How did you get involved in YNPN? I heard about YNPN from a couple of friends, and found out more at a grant research workshop at Central Library. I got a membership soon after!
- Why have you focused your career on the nonprofit sector? My love for the Missouri Botanical Garden brought me to my first job in the nonprofit sector, and I’m so thankful for that. I can’t imagine a better fit for me.
- What advice would you give to young professionals considering a nonprofit job? I’d advise young professionals considering a nonprofit job to check out The Rome Group’s job listings online, talk to as many people in nonprofit work as they can (we’re a welcoming bunch!), and research as much as they can about organizations they are interested in. If you feel deeply connected to the nonprofit’s mission and projects, you’ll be able to find some joy in every day at work, and that’s an incomparable feeling.
- If you could pick the last meal you ate what would it be? Hmmm. Tortellini with a creamy pesto, some good cheeses, a baguette, grapes, dark chocolate, and a bottle of Malbec. And then I’d hope I’d be allowed another meal so I can have cheese dip, tortilla chips and a Paloma. Or chicken and waffles with bourbon. Shrug, it’s my last meal, so I’m having all of those.
- What do you hope to accomplish that you haven't yet? I hope I can some day strike that magical balance in all of my adult relationships between self-respect/worth and strong loyalty. One of the hardest things for me is maintaining boundaries when someone asks or expects more than I can give without diminishing my own quality of life or emotional balance.
- What has been your favorite YNPN STL event? Why? I love the coffees with 9 strangers, because I love meeting new people!
If you are interested in being featured, please email email@example.com or use our contact us form.