YNPN St. Louis has a diverse membership supported by many disciplines of the nonprofit sector. Our members come from over 70 nonprofits in St. Louis and six universities. We would like to highlight one of our great members, Amelia Christ, one of our 2016 Spring Mentees.
- What is your favorite place in St. Louis and why? I have many favorite places in the area, but the one that comes to mind right now is the gravel paths winding through Forest Park. They’re very beautiful and somewhat secluded. They’re a nice contrast to the city and also the more trafficked areas of the Park.
- How did you get involved in YNPN? I get involved in YNPN through recommendation from co-workers. They participate and told me it would be helpful for acclimating to my new job and developing new skills.
- Why have you focused your career on the nonprofit sector? I initially wanted to teach because I like working with people and especially because I like seeing my work bring about something beautiful. Now I get to work with wonderful people – my coworkers and volunteers in my nonprofit job – and I also get to see the beautiful effects especially clearly in this sector.
- What advice would you give to young professionals considering a nonprofit job? Get some experience! Find people in the community who have a need, and see if you can offer something to fill that need while gaining experience in the field. For example, a mentor recommended that I volunteer with a local public library to improve their social media accounts. I didn’t end up going in this direction – I took an internship instead – but I appreciate the way this advice freed my thinking: you don’t have to step in to something that exists especially if you see a place where you can contribute.
- If you could pick the last meal you ate what would it be? An entire gooey butter cake.
- What do you hope to accomplish that you haven't yet? I would like to publish something creative. I write fact-based material now, but I love to read fiction and poetry.
- What has been your favorite YNPN STL event? Why? I went to an evening session about building effective teams this past fall. The material was really engaging and the experience of the attendees was also helpful. Those two aspects really worked together because I learned “expert strategies” but also got the chance to articulate my own thoughts and get multiple perspectives.
If you are interested in being featured, please email email@example.com or use our contact us form.