With the new year, comes new changes to nonprofit organizations and YNPN St. Louis is no different. Our volunteer board structure relies on new members, changing positions and this year, a new President. Please help us welcome Rebecca Buffington, Communications & Special Events Manager at Regional Arts Commission.
- How long have you lived in St. Louis? About 5 ½ years
- How did you get involved in YNPN? I attended a few events in 2010 and then was approached by a board member to get more involved with YNPN at a board level.
- Why have you focused your career on the nonprofit sector? Because I have always wanted to have a job that made a difference in the local community and that also supported a mission I was passionate about. While I work mainly in the nonprofit arts sector I have seen firsthand the impact that various local nonprofits have made in St. Louis and I am so grateful to be a part of that.
- What advice would you give to young professionals considering a nonprofit job? Make sure to meet and network with other young professionals and leaders in the nonprofit sector. Getting involved in organizations like YNPN is a great way to gain professional development and also expand your network. There are a number of local nonprofit leaders that make wonderful mentors and I believe that mentorship and involvement with other organizations besides the one you work for is so important if you want to improve and grow professionally.
- If you could learn a new skill, what would it be? Professionally I would like to gain more graphic design and web management experience. I’ve also always wanted to learn how to knit.
- What do you hope to accomplish that you haven't yet? I hope to receive more funding for YNPN in 2015 than we have in the past.
- What has been your favorite YNPN STL event? Why? BOL 2014. I think it was our best BOL yet as we had phenomenal speakers, interesting topics, excellent discussions and also great networking, food and much more! I can’t wait to see what we will be doing for BOL 2015.
If you are interested in being featured, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or use our contact us form.